Le Cure has, so far, created four “Le Cure” Research Fellowships at the Royal Marsden. Our research fellows are at the forefront of cancer research and are doing work which will make a real difference to the treatment and outcome for breast cancer patients.
We are doing Le Cure again for a 5th year in 2018 and need your help to raise funds for vital research to make personalised treatments for breast cancer – and a cure for many people with the disease – a reality.
Research supported so far:
ABC BIO Trial
- Aims to demonstrate that simple blood tests can replace invasive tumour biopsies
- Breast cancer DNA in the blood, can provide information on specific genetic mutations
- Potential to revolutionise diagnosis and treatment of the disease
- Initial results are very promising
POETIC 2 Trial
- Developing a mechanism to detect cancers which will become resistant to treatment
- Use a “window of opportunity” prior to surgery to test tumours’ response to drugs
- Based on those results start drug treatments as soon as possible
- We expect this to reduce the number of patients in whom the disease will reappear after surgery and ultimately save those women from dying of breast cancer
Can ctDNA help us identify who needs post-operative chemotherapy?
- Establish whether DNA in blood following surgery can predict cancer recurrence
- Sampling blood from 500 patients taken at the right treatment point in 2003
- Testing will use the Illumina MiniSeq machine funded by Le Cure
- Establish if no trace of DNA means that the patient could potentially avoid chemotherapy
- If successful this trial will change clinical practice globally
We are excited about all of our existing projects and – with your help – look forward to funding more research in the near future!
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact
Sophie Munro – [email protected]